The Woes of being a SysAdmin…..

So last night I was called into our Data Center due to an outage. Once everything came back up we noticed an issue with our Exchange Archive Server which lives at that Data Center. From outlook we were not able to access our In-Place Archives, however we could do it from OWA (Weird Right?)

This morning I looked into the issue further and when I tried to open the Exchange Management Shell on that server I got this message 3 times.

New-PSSession : [ServerName.domain.local] Connecting to remote server ServerName.Domain.local failed with the following error
message : [ClientAccessServer=ServerName,BackEndServer=ServerName.Domain.local,RequestId=2de56d73-34a8-46a9-9bdd-5c023e960cb5,
TimeStamp=8/6/2018 3:14:08 PM] [FailureCategory=Cafe-SendFailure]  For more information, see the
about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-PSSession -ConnectionURI “$connectionUri” -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Excha …
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.Manageme….RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [New-PSSession], PSRemotin
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : -2144108477,PSSessionOpenFailed

So I tried to google this error message and let me tell you, if you try, good luck. There was literally no information about it. I then ended up googling this part of the message:


This let me to a Microsoft Answers thread which guided me to look at another blog which then said to check the SSL Binding on both the Website and Exchange Back end in IIS on the host. I discovered the the Exchange Back end did not have a binding for port 444. So I pointed it to the proper certificate and after and IIS reset it worked like magic.